Friday, May 25, 2012

St. Ancmon of Seleucia - FINISHED

Anyone who has viewed this blog in recent months knows that I have been working on an icon of St. Ancmon of Seleucia. Nearly one year ago, I started the piece on canvas - something I had never used for an icon before - and after mixed results, I scrapped the original after ca. 8 months of wrestling, on and off. I then started afresh on board - what I typically use for icons. (This marked the first post on the piece for this blog, which can be found here.) The results were much more promising and consistent. However, my time was more limited, so the process dragged out for longer than I would have liked. After much ado, the piece is finally finished. It was actually finished weeks ago, but I did not want to spoil the unveil for the man who commissioned the piece. (I know he views this blog from time to time.) I presented the finished icon last Friday, followed by an informal theological lecture to small group of elders, among whom the patron was included. Things went well.

Below is an image of the finished icon. (The photo is by my priest, Fr. Eirik Olsen of Light of Christ Anglican Church.) I'm very pleased with the results. I have also gone ahead and created a video that documents the evolution of the icon from start to finish. That can be found below as well. I think it helps highlight how much work went into bringing this icon to completion. Enjoy!